Thursday, October 31, 2013

Is the media we want the same as the media we need?

I believe my media choices better inform me about important social, political, cultural, and/or economic matters. I think it is easy to find this information as well because media is everywhere around us. I can find news on the world by just going on my phone. I don’t even have to go on a website dedicated to news; I can just go on Twitter. I am a very curious person, thus I like being informed on things that are happening anywhere in the world. Is the media we want the same as the media we need? In my opinion, the media we want is not the same as the media we need. Like I said, I am a curious person, so I like knowing celebrity gossip, or knowing who went home on last night’s episode of The X-Factor. Do I need this media? Of course not, but I sure do want it and the media knows what’s popular and what is unpopular in order to keep their audience interested. I also believe that the media does alter the information they receive in order to keep their audience interested. All social, political, cultural, and the economic matters we hear, read and see isn’t always completely true. The media tweaks it a bit so we can stay engaged.

Reading my peers’ blogs, I chose three entries that had the same views as me. One of my classmate’s said “…when I type something into a Google search bar, that search is taken into account and used as information for advertisers’ so they will advertise something related to that search” (http://isaacc56.wordpress.com/). This is one of the media’s way of knowing what WE want, and using this information to keep us interested. I think this is a smart way for the media to know what is popular in our society, and to use that information to grab our attention. “Media is often developed to target specific needs and wants of the audience whether it be a sporting channel, home and garden programs, the food network, etc. “ (http://madysylvester.wordpress.com/). Mady is completely right when she said this because everyone is unique and have different interests. In my blog entry, I said myself I do not like the whole vampire/creature fad but a lot of people do, therefore the media creates shows, films, and etc. for people who are a fan of this fad. The media does have different stuff to keep their other audience members happy though just like what Mady said. Why does the media have to keep us happy? Well, if we’re not happy, the media isn't happy, thus the media needs to do their research to know what our wants are. Why? Well my classmate Veronica wrote, “because they want their audiences to eat up every little bit of it in order to make it profitable for them” (http://veronicatmeow.blogspot.ca/). If we don’t get the media we want, the media won’t get the money they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment