Thursday, November 7, 2013

Advertising and interpellation


crn3kc3v-1372989867.jpg


This is an ad created by Dove promoting a positive body image for women – but are they really? In the media, women are skinny, flawless, have big breasts, and etc. Dove wanted to show that curvy women were the prettiest and were more ‘realistic’ compared to the women we see in the media. This ad hails and interpellates me in its messaging by telling me I should use their product to take care of my body and to love my body. The ad also sends a message stating that ‘bigger’ women are gorgeous and normal. However, the ad was not successful in its attempt to represent my norms, values, and/or beliefs as a means by which to attract my attention to, and interest in the product advertised. I think it was brave for Dove to go against society’s ideal female body image, but sending a message stating that curvy women are more beautiful than skinny women is still wrong. I am not skinny, and I am not big, does that mean I’m not pretty in anyone’s eyes? Does it mean I am not ‘realistic’? The models in the ad are still flawess . They have no stretch marks, scars, and they all have perfect curves – not realistic whatsoever. I understand Dove is trying to promote a positive female body image (or is just a marketing strategy?), but in reality, not all women look like the models in the ad. “…Our personality, our individual identity, and our subjectivity have been produced by a number of external factors” (p. 184).  Ads like this one are the reasons why many of us are insecure about how we look and act, thus we change ourselves. We buy beauty products, change our eating habits and clothing style, and etc., to reach society’s ideal of beauty. Everything about us is created by society.

On page 189 of the textbook, O’Shaughnessy and Stadler (2012) said, “we live in a culture that stresses individuality, encourages us to believe that every person has unique qualities, and puts forward the view that we have control over who we are, what we do, and how others see us, but this view is questionable”. The media tells us to love ourselves the way we are. They tell us we are all unique and to ignore what others say about us, but if we do something against society’s norms or don’t reach society’s ideal body image, we will be looked down upon. We have to change ourselves to keep our society happy. Sometimes I wonder who would we think is beautiful if society didn’t tell us who is beautiful?


- Jen
-       

References:

O’Shaughnessy, Michael, and Jane Stadler. Media and Society. 5th ed. Australia: Oxford University Press, 2012. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment