Thursday, November 14, 2013

What the Hail - Blog Responses


Many of my classmates’ blog entries on advertising and interpellation were very similar to my entry. For my entry, I focused on how us females have to do so much to our bodies to reach society’s ideal body image. I knew that males have to try to reach society’s ideal body image as well, but I always thought males didn’t really care about that stuff. After reading some of my male classmates’ entries, I realized they have it hard too. Liam stated, “…. There is also an overlooked factor for men with unrealistic standards of what a ‘normal’ body type should be” (http://dunsey.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/what-the-hail/). Liam is right about this – we often ignore that males have to try to reach society’s expectations too. He discusses how the ad he chose targeted males, telling them they should work out, and wear Nike clothing to get an athletic and muscular built. People around my age want to look healthy and have the perfect body, thus having a young adult in the represents our demographic. Madison talks about an advertisement for Revlon mascara. She stated that the advertisement is, “implying that we are not fabulous before, and we can only achieve being fabulous, while wearing their product” (http://mb12qe.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/what-the-hail/). Most females (but obviously not all) wear makeup and care way too much about their appearance. I am one of those females, thus I think this ad accurately represents my demographic. In our society, we have to follow our correct gender role. If we’re male, we have to be masculine and if we’re female, we have to be feminine. One of my peers stated, “our identities as members of our particular sex are engraved into our heads from day one and the media does its fair share of increasing the impact it has on us” (http://bkennedy94.blogspot.ca). He talks about the Old Spice commercial and how men have to smell like the man in the commercial if they want to feel masculine and have women run after them. Obviously some males want that, so they buy this product. For females, we should wear makeup to look girly and etc. These ads are similar to the ad I chose because if we want to look a certain way, we should listen to the advertisers. They tell us we should use their product to achieve society’s ideal image.

No comments:

Post a Comment